August 17, 2007

Vacation highlights: Double Coffee

Today´s Swedish word: dubbel. Means double.


When I am abroad I like to try new things and go to local restaurants, but nevertheless it is nice to have a reliable back-up, some place you know will always deliver. When you are just too hungry, or too tired, or if you have a cold and feel really sorry for yourself it is so soothing to just see a sign outside a building and say: "Oh, why not just go to..."


For many people it is McDonald´s and sometimes for me too, but on the road in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania we return to the chain Double Coffee again and again. Brekfast in Riga, and here it is lunch in Vilnius: a scrumptious potato pancake with cottage cheese and mushrooms and fresh veg. And dill, of course. Double Coffee is not very cheap, but not expensive either for us Swedes. They serve omelettes, breakfasts, salads, sandwiches, desserts and all kinds of coffee and drinks. Always fresh and nice and also with a local twist. The menu is not the same in all three countries (take that, McD!). And it is almost always open. Try it, should you be in the vicinity!

5 comments:

Anne said...

Oh, my friend really recommended that place too! Guess we have to make a visit! :)

Pille said...

Mmm - I've never been to DC, as their reputation isn't the best re: their service;(
I think we gonna be going for lunch rather than coffee anyway in September, but if we do go for a coffee, then I definitely recommend something from the Kehrwieder chain instead (Tristan & Isolde or Chocolaterie) or then good old Maiasmokk or any of the other cafes - there's plenty to choose from (Bestseller, Park Cafe in Kadriorg, etc)!!

My Vintage Kitchen said...

oh wow...that looks amazing!!!! I wonder if it would be hard to make.

Clivia said...

Haha, of course it is better to find the real gems in each city (in Tallinn I know lots of other places) but as an alternative to McDonald´s this is much better...

Vintage, I guess what you have to do is grate some winter potatoes coarsely, salt them and fry in butter until crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. The thing on top was just some cottage cheese, and then some pickled mushrooms. I had a severe cold at the occasion (read above) so sadly I couldn´t taste it all...

Anonymous said...

I dont think salt and butter is enough. You need something to keep the whole pancake together - maybe an egg?
My dad often makes these. I am ashamed to say that not only i have never made mine own, i dont even know the exact recipe! I think I'm going to ask..