September 09, 2007

Everyday luxury: going to the market!

Today´s Swedish word: torg. Means square.

One thing I have seldom done before I started this blog is shopping at markets, and I haven´t had a clue about seasons - when to buy the best.
Well, now I do! I have had a vegetable box coming all spring every other week with organic fruit and veg but this time of year I prefer to buy everything myself. I have the great luck to work just five minutes walk from the market square here in my hometown - so every Wednesday and also Friday or Saturday when the vendors are there I go down to shop for fresh vegetables and fruit.


These are some very, very nice cucumbers I bought from my favourite stand, a very kind man who runs a small-scale business outside town and go to the square laden with fresh veg, flowers and potatoes on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I also bought some sprouted dill to use for pickled cucumbers - but no recipe yet. I have to try them before I can make any recommendations. Last year I failed with my cucumbers... For now it will have to make do with the pretty picture!

2 comments:

Steve said...

Here's one good way to use them. I may have already sent it to you.
English Cucumber Salad


1 English Cucumber, halved, seeded and sliced into thin crescents
2 T sugar
2 T Olive Oil
¼ C Red wine Vinegar
1 t mustard seeds
1 T Balsamic Vinegar
2 Scallions (splurge, use a whole bunch of green onions!)
1 Shallot

Chop shallot finely. Slice scallions (white portion & as much of the green portion that looks good.)
Mix wine vinegar, olive oil, sugar and mustard seeds. Combine cucumbers, scallions, shallots and toss with dressing. ‘Drizzle” with balsamic vinegar and serve.

Twist: Add cherry tomatoes or seeded tomato.

Twist 2: Cook some corkscrew pasta and make it a pasta salad.

Kinna Jonsson said...

Tack för igår, jätteroligt att du kom. Jag hade hoppats kunna prata lite mer med var och en, men som vanligt blir det mer hektiskt än man tror. Må gott!! =)