November 05, 2008

A broken promise

No, I don´t mean that I promised to write more often and then didn´t because I told you I have so much to do with the baby and all. I mean my foodie resolutions for 2008, which I just imported from 2007 when I didn´t keep them either. Make my own pasta, take a fish class, wine dolmadas? Fat chance! Maybe possibly we will make sausages but I am not sure.
And the last one: "I will not feed my baby food from a jar unless it´s an emergency". Blah. I have changed the resolution to "I will not feed my baby food from a jar if I wouldn´t consider eating it myself" and everyone is happy at the moment. You see, I have found that the jars are sooo fantastic- even when I am not in an emergency. Especially the ones with porridge. Oh I love the porridge you just bring along to cafés and activities. And when you try to find out what the baby likes and not it is so much easier to open a jar of lasagna than making a whole lasagna with no salt and then maybe he doesn´t like it, or is allergic to tomatoes. I have come to terms with the jars, they will be part of our lives. But not the veg ones! Oh no. Not after trying broccoli!

You see, I had heard that babies like broccoli and wanted to try it but thought that maybe I could buy a jar the first time. I opened it, frowned at the terrible smell of it but heated it and stuck a spoonful of it in D´s mouth at which moment he just looked at me with a "You have got to be kidding" look at his face. I tried it and agreed with him. The contents went into the kitchen sink and I made broccoli for him from scratch which he didn´t like either but at least I don´t risk teaching my child that broccoli is brownish and tastes like a fart smells. Look at the picture and try to guess which is which!

5 comments:

Dagmar said...

Wow, that broccoli from the jar looks disgusting!

Unknown said...

I'd stay away from the Cream of Lutefisk, too!

Clivia said...

Mmm, creamed lutfisk, that´s an idea for Christmas! I am sure he will like it. And yes Dagmar, it was truly disgusting. The corn in a jar looks disgusting too, kind of grey-yellowish...yuk.

Anonymous said...

Ice cube trays are very useful for freezing small portions of pureed fruits & vegetables for baby. Mashed banana & plain yogurt was a favorite lunch for my sons when we were away from home.

Clivia said...

oh yes, I use ice cube trays and little paper cups to freeze his food, it is very practical. Could you drop me a line Pene? I want to ask you something and seem to have lost your address.