March 12, 2007

Pasta with brussels sprouts and mustard

Today´s Swedish word: brysselkål. Means brussels sprouts.


Oh joy. The sun is still shining, the sky is still blue and I have got a job. Oh yes, I already told you that... But I am really excited about it! It is "only" a part-time job for 6 months but it is my dream job, where I get to meet lots of interesting people and where I can use my creativity. I will, in short, be planning courses and seminars on different subjects for different people and the job also is here in my home town which is very nice, just a 15 minute walk from home. Yay! Of course I will miss working in Gamla stan, but Stockholm is just 30 kilometres away so I can go there whenever I like.


Well, enough on that subject. Today I will share one of my favourite recipes for pasta, with brussels sprouts, mustard and cream. I first found it in one of my oldest cookbooks: Kokboken Format by Malin Landqvist and Lotta Seipel, and has made it many times in different shapes. This time I used a new product which I got as a sample, Valio creme fraiche with a mix of mustard and lemon in the lid to stir in the creme fraiche. It was OK, but I found it a little too strong and maybe shouldn´t have put in all the spice mix. Or maybe I am simply not very much into this kind of convenience products, at least not when making it from scratch will take you just 2 minutes more... This is one of my quickest recipes, you make it while the pasta boils.


Pasta with brussels sprouts, mustard and cream
Serves 4



500 grams brussels sprouts, fresh or frozen
small knob of butter
half a yellow onion or 2-3 large schalott onions, finely shredded
200 ml whipping cream (I more often use cooking cream or creme fraiche)
2 tbsp french mustard


Boil the sprouts for 10 minutes or prepare them according to instructions on the bag. Drain in a colander. Meanwhile, sautée the onion in the butter and stir in the cream. Let it simmer for a while until a little reduced. Stir in the mustard and spice to taste with salt and pepper if needed. Add the sprouts and heat it all up, and serve immediately with pasta. I often add a few slices of crisp streaky bacon on top, too.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Looks good, aside from the brussel sprouts.

Elle said...

Congratulations on the job. It sounds wonderful. It is so hard to find a job where you can use your creativity. Guess that is one of the perks of blogging. Lots of creativity.
If I was a fan of brussels sprouts, I would love this recipe. Maybe if I try it I'll become a fna of brussel sprouts?

Robert said...

Wow, Kristina--your fans don't care for brussel sprouts. I found your site because I wanted pasta, but I had brussel sprouts, and went looking for a brussel sprouts and pasta recipe. I used one leek instead of onions, went a little short on the cream, and used fat-free half and half instead (it was what my wife had in the refrigerator for coffee). The product was pretty good, and quite unlike what I usually make. I don't usually make creamy stuff, but this was good. Thanks.

Robert said...

Perhaps I should add, however, as a brussel sprouts lover, that this recipe is not the best thing to do with them if you are not set on a pasta combination.