July 27, 2006

Swiss chard dolmadas with rice and mushrooms

Swiss chard (mangold) is a rather new veg to me, partly because you seldom see it in "ordinary" supermarkets where we get most of our food. But as a foodie I have started to visit other places and there you always can find this magnificent vegetable - I think it is so beautiful with its large leaves and stems in white, red or yellow.
Last week I visited Rosendals trädgårdar at Djurgården in Stockholm and found a big bunch of Swiss chard for only 15 SEK, so I bought it without even thinking what to make of it. I put it in a vase on our kitchen table and turned to my trusted cooking guru Anna Bergenström for advice. I have written about her before and cannot praise this woman enough. She is simply the best! I use her cookbooks all the time and have yet to try a recipe of hers I don´t like. These Swiss chard dolmadas was another success! She gave the recipe in the book more like a description than a recipe with exact measures and I describe it in the same way.


Swiss chard dolmadas
Take large Swiss hard leaves , trim off the stalks and maybe a bit of the central "nerve" and put it in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, to soften them. Drain and put aside. I used eight leaves.
Boil 3-4 servings of rice in some good vegetable stock and some dried herbs like thyme or oregano, I used brown rice which I use more and more. Put aside.
In a frying pan sautée one chopped small onion and a bag of yellow chanterelles from your freezer (or other good mushrooms) until a little soft. Mix it with the rice and spice to taste with salt and pepper.
Put a good spoonful of the rice/mushroom mix on each leaf and roll together. Put the dolmadas in a greased ovenproof dish, pour over just a little of milk or cream and grate over some good cheese. I always use Västerbottenost which is an almost parmesan-like Swedish cheese, delicious.
Bake in the oven, 200-225 degrees, for about 25 minutes and enjoy!

8 comments:

AK said...

Very nice!!

Tanna said...

I'm really impressed. Those look super good!

Pene said...

Looks really good!

Pille said...

I had never thought of using mangold as wrapping for rolls - such a great idea! Nice alternative to my more usual cabbage rolls for sure. The purple stems look really pretty, too.

Louise said...

hej!I came across your blog site thru some other Malaysian food blogs.. and the circle ended back in Sweden! I am a malaysian living in Sandviken and didn't think that swedes are that big on food. But after seeing your blog, i got to change my mind =)
Good food indeed!!

Clivia said...

Thank you all! I will absolutely make these more times, not least because it is a really good way to use mushrooms. It has started to rain again so they will soon pop up in the forests I guess.
And Louise, I am happy to guide you a little to the Swedish foodie world!

Steve said...

Looks good. I can occasionally find Swiss Chard, although I've rarely used it.

kathryn said...

Hi there, I've just come to your site via Global Voices online and I love this recipe. In Australia we call chard silverbeet and it's a really common vegetable. It's one of my favourites, especially when you can get the fresh and young-ish leaves which are more plump and juicy, plus it's really good for you. I'm always looking for new ways to cook silverbeet - so thanks for this recipe Olivia, I'll be trying it out soon.