February 25, 2007

Waiter - there´s something in my...pie

Today´s Swedish word: paj. Means pie, and is pronounced almost the same way!

After my last somewhat whiney posting I have decided to not complain any more. I have my friends and family and my health and above all there is so much food to cook. What more could you ask for in life? (ah, oh well. A job. I know I know, but surely it will be OK.) My main problem now is that I can feel a cold coming - but I will fight it! With, for example, this:

In this round of "Waiter, there´s something in my..." the theme is pies. And as hostess Jeanne told us, it should be a closed pie. Since closed pies are not at all common in Sweden and I felt a little insecure trying to make one (the cold makes me weak) I decided to interpret it the way Jeanne in fact encouraged us to: you should not be able to see the filling of the pie. Instead of closing the pie with a lid I went for a crumble, a savoury one. The filling is mince, and as you can see in the picture it is indeed invisible. And so is the crumble - apart from the chili speckles. Next time I make this crumble (and I will, it was so tasty) I will choose something else for filling - perhabs some mussels, or chicken.
Anyway. I found the crumble recipe in one of my favourite cookbooks, Manna, written by Karin Bille with recipes by chef Carola Magnusson. There it is used on a hot sandwich with mussels but I can think of dozens of other ways to use it too. The garlic and chili goes well with cold weather and a runny nose - but as I said: the mince filling is rather tasty but *not* pretty. Feel free to improvise!

Garlic and chili crumble
Enough for one small pie
60 grams cold butter, straight from the fridge
200 ml spelt wheat flour or wholewheat flour
half a fresh red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 small clove garlic, pressed or finely chopped
a good pinch of sea salt

Put everything in a bowl and pinch it together with your fingers until it forms medium crumbs. You can also use a food processor. Put on top of the filling of your choice (for mine I fried 500 grams mince and 6-7 champignon mushrooms, and a small chopped yellow onion and seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper) and bake in the oven, 175C, for about 10 minutes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to add some mushroom soya sauce & a sprinkle of Chinese 5 spice powder whenever I cook minced meat as well as lots of garlic. Get better soon, Kristina!

Pille said...

That sounds like a great comfort food!

Anonymous said...

Hej,

det var mycket roligt att prata om matbloggar, men efter att jag läste några insåg jag varför jag aldrig skulle klara av att ha en matblogg. Alla dessa bilder på mat leder till non-stop-hunger. Hur sjutton klarar du av det? Och twinkie-länken var oemotståndlig. Glädjande är att jag i maj ska åka till New York och därmed själv ta reda på hur en twinkie smakar. *längtar*

Mvh
Nina Unesi

Jeanne said...

Ooooh, comfort food!! What a wonderful idea. I'm always a fan of mince under a crust, whether it me pastry, potato or some sort of crumble - but I take your point about the brown-on-brown colour scheme being tricky ;-) But I'm sure once you had a forkful of the pungent, warm chile-garlicy mince, all doubts were swept aside! Thanks for joining in for WTSIM and hope to see you again next month :)

Andrew said...

never thought of a crunchy type topping before - great idea