December 03, 2005

A hidden treasure

On one of my lunch walks several months ago I discovered a nice-looking tea house, Chaikhana, behind German church in Old town. Yesterday I finally made it and went for tea with my friends S&A. After a crazy week it was so nice just to sit down and enjoy afternoon tea and start off the weekend! You could choose french or english afternoon tea and if you wanted much or a little less. We went for the big english! First we got three delicious small sandwiches; salmon, cucumber and indian cress and ham and cheddar cheese. After that we got two scones each with two kinds of marmalade and whipped cream (you can´t get clotted here). Then we could choose what we wanted from the dessert trolley. S chose a glögg (mulled wine) cheesecake which she liked very much and I chose a mousse tart of which I have been thinking now for almost 24 hours. Mango mousse (with little fruit pieces in it) enclosed in another mousse of tea (!) and a little chocolate. I am not exaggerating when I say that was the best dessert I ever had. I have good table manners, which stopped me from licking the plate but otherwise I would have done it. With all this we drank tea of course. I had some black tea I don´t remember the name of and S had a green jasmine tea which she claimed tasted and smelled like wild strawberries. All this cost 140 SEK which is not cheap but definitely not overprized for this wonderful afternoon treat. Above all the tearooms was wonderful: peaceful and beautifully set. They also have a little tea shop.

Now I have two questions: when can I go back and how on earth do you make that mousse tart?

If you are in Stockholm, go find it! It is hidden behind German Church, just 5 minutes walk from Stortorget.

Chaikhana, Svartmangatan 23

No comments: