March 05, 2006

Leftover beefs with quinoa, chick peas and coriander

I am trying to get better at using leftovers, and today I had some quinoa I had to get rid of before it was too late. Quinoa is really getting one of my absolute favourites. So tasty, still not "taking over" other tastes, and so very versatile. I have also found a brand which is not bitter at all, I still rinse it but I don´t think I really would have to...

My other mission, apart from leftovers, is to taste coriander and today I grabbed the last plant in the grocery store and carried it home in triumph! The smell is intriguing, I cannot figure out what it reminds me of. And it is NOT cat pee, like many people say! It is something else...like...hmmm... parsnips? I don´t know. But I am definitely going to try it out with root vegetables. Anyway, I ended up in the coriander/cilantro lovers group.

Over to the beefs. And hey, only two more days to go witout photos!

Quinoa/Chick peas/coriander "beefs"
Serves 4-5 people if you serve it with some other things too...
200 ml cooked quinoa
200 grams chick peas, home cooked or from a jar
a small bunch chopped fresh coriander
1 small onion, finely chopped and sautéed until a little soft and shiny
optional 1 garlic clove, finely chopped and sautéed
good pinch of each salt and pepper
optional a little lemon zest, but I really couldn´t find the lemon in the ready product ;-). Remains to be experimented with...
1 egg

Start with mashing the chick peas, I used a handheld mixer. Then stir in quinoa, onion, coriander and spice. Finish with the egg and stir until you get a smooth mix that holds together nicely and can be formed in neat little beefs or patties. Mine were maybe 5 cm in diameter.
Fry them in butter or oil on medium heat until they are golden brown. Serve at once with for example chicken and a dollop of thick yoghurt and mango chutney.
I didn´t have it, but I would guess a salad with avocado, different green leaves and a light lemon dressing tastes fantastic on the side... (Hmm, perhabs that´s where the lemon should be, instead of in the beefs)

3 comments:

Pille said...

I still haven't tried quinoa, although it's everywhere these days - you mention it, Anne has, Clotilde did last week.
I better go to that health food shop around the corner soon..

Steve said...

I mix 1/4 cup quinoa with 1/4 cup Jasmine rice and cook in slightly more than 1 cup water. I add chicken or beef broth, depending on for what it's a side dish, and a tsp each your favorite "Italian" spices. Just before it's done, I add a handful (½ cup, or so) if whatever type on nuts I have around, usually cashews or peanuts. This reportedly health "pilaf" tastes good enough to not think of it as "health food".

Steve said...

Adding a little diced celery is good, too.