November 10, 2005

Oh, that Tina

I watched Foodie Tina again today, see my previous post on the Jackson potatoes, and really. Really.
Well, today in all newspapers they had stories on how bad it is to eat too much salt, and Tina was mentioned as a bad example. She uses just too much salt, some professor said. Her PR agent on the other hand said that the professor couldn´t tell how salty Tina´s food is because he never tasted it. And she uses flake salt and that loooks more than it really is. Anyhow. Tina is a chef, and not some national nutrionist, and she can not be held responsible for people salting too much. That was my view. But she made chili con carne (looked delicious) and practically covered it in salt. Hmmm. So now I don´t know.

But: the fat. Again. She made student food, cheap and plenty, and one dish was potato and leek soup. Fine, I thought. But what did she put in it? Bacon, my friends. And she served it with a huge lump of brie cheese in each bowl. (She also made moussaka and into the white sauce went grated cheese and a huge lump of chèvre).

No, try this student soup instead. I learned it from a friend when I went to Lund University. Cheap, lean and lots of taste.

Curry potato soup
Serves 4
4-5 potatoes depending on size, in bite-size chunks
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2-3 cups good stock, I often use beef stock
1 tbsp curry powder

Fry the onions for a little while in a skillet. Powder over the curry and let it fry a little to develop taste. Add the potatoes and the stock and bring to a boil, let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are ready. Spice to taste with salt and pepper and serve with some nice cheese sandwiches.
Of course you can add about everything to this soup - carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, chick peas

Now I am going home to my parents for the weekend, bringing my camera to take some photos of Mum´s delicious food...

No comments: