January 24, 2006

Lazy

This is not a memory photo I am afraid. We still have our Christmas tree! You see, if you are really lazy, and renovating the hallway (very messy) and above all the Christmas tree starts to grow again with fresh long green shoots in the end of the branches, you just take away all the christmassy red balls and birds and the - ahem - "star" and go on with your life pretending that the Christmas tree is a really large pot plant with lights in.

Yes, of course we will throw it out. Soon.

And here is our lazy dinner today, rösti, one of my favourite ways with potatoes. This is a plain version but before I moved in with an anti-garlic person I often used to press a clove of garlic in the potato and serve with a little bacon instead of fish roe.

Rösti my way
2 potatoes per person
salt
oil or butter for the pan

Grate the potatoes roughly and season with a pinch of salt. Heat up oil or butter in a large frying pan and put in the potato, press it thin with a spatula or similar. Fry until golden colour, flip it using a large plate and fry the other side for some minutes more. You can also make very small cakes if you feel like it. What you want is a rather thin, golden cake but I always tend to make mine a little too thick. The option to fry two cakes instead of one never appeals to me when I am hungry and lazy. I think in the original version you also include some grated cheese but I have never tried it.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream, creme fraiche or gräddfil and some fish roe if you have some. A little finely chopped red onion is very good too.

4 comments:

Kinna Jonsson said...

One of my favourites too. So simple and yet so good. I think, but must try it out, that you can put them on a bakingsheet and keep them warm in the owen while making more of them. I'm thinking of having guests and serving this.

Anonymous said...

I love rosti ... thanks for sharing the recipe!!!

Journal Actif said...

I'm an other one rosti lover. And I can be terribly "lazy" too. :-)) Thanks for the recipe.

Judith van Praag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.